Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Yum, yum! These are the best! Hot fluffy waffles with occasional "pockets" of cream-top with your favorite syrup or honey and you are in instant waffle heaven! These are great to throw together when your cottage cheese is about to expire and you want to use it up.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees if you won't be eating immediately.
- Melt butter, reserve.
- Whisk dry ingredients.
- In a seperate bowl, beat cottage cheese, milk, eggs, honey. Don't try to beat out the curds of cheese. Gradually add dry ingredients to the cottage cheese mixture, stirring only until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Stir in butter.
- Spray grids and spoon out 1/2 cup batter onto the hot iron. Use a wooden spoon to smooth the batter almost to the edge of the grids. Close the lid and bake until browned.
- Serve immediately, or keep in a slingle layer, on a rack in the preheated oven.
Very good recipe! Definitely a keeper. I made some variations: put 1 cup of oatmeal in a blender and ground it up and used whole wheat flour for the rest. I then added the rest of the ingredients into the blender as we like the cottage cheese to be ground up w/o the big curds. Similar to other posts we also used oil instead of butter and added cinnamon and some vanilla. As we use a small round waffle maker we used 1/3 of a cup per waffle vs. half and when you put all the ingredients in the blender, the batter spreads on its own in the waffle maker.
Really enjoyed these! They are not as dry as regular waffles. Used sugar instead of honey and added some cinnamon and vanilla. These will likely be our go-to waffle recipe. Thanks!!
They tasted good, but the clean up afterwards was awful. The honey stuck to the sides of the waffle iron. My gourmet waffle iron will never be the same. The waffles were very hard to get out of the waffle iron too. Would not make this recipe again.