This recipe is from the Super Cookery Lowfat & Salads cookbooks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 lb canned corn kernels, drained or 1 lb frozen corn kernels, drained and thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 tablespoons natural low-fat unsweetened yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 1Place the onion and potato in a large saucepan and pour in the milk.
- 2Add the bay leaf, nutmeg, and half the corn.
- 3Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the potato is softened.
- 4Stir the soup occasionally and keep the heat low so that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
- 5Discard the bay leaf and leave the liquid to cool for 10 minutes.
- 6Transfer to a blender and process briefly.
- 7Alternatively, rub through a strainer.
- 8Pour the smooth liquid into a saucepan.
- 9Blend the cornstarch with the cold water to make a paste and stir it into the soup.
- 10Bring the soup back to a boil, stirring until it thickens, and add the remaining corn.
- 11Heat through for 2-3 minutes until piping hot.
- 12For a more substantial soup, add 8 ounces flaked white crabmeat or peeled, cook shrimp.
- 13Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- 14Stir in the yogurt.
- 15Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish, and serve.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Corn Soup
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.8
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.3 mg
- Sodium 800.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 20.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat unsweetened yogurt