Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the Super Cookery Lowfat & Salads cookbooks.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 lb canned corn kernels, drained or 1 lb frozen corn kernels, drained and thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 tablespoons natural low-fat unsweetened yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 3 1⁄2 ounces lean ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Place the onion and potato in a large saucepan and pour in the milk.
- Add the bay leaf, nutmeg, and half the corn.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the potato is softened.
- Stir the soup occasionally and keep the heat low so that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Discard the bay leaf and leave the liquid to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and process briefly.
- Alternatively, rub through a strainer.
- Pour the smooth liquid into a saucepan.
- Blend the cornstarch with the cold water to make a paste and stir it into the soup.
- Bring the soup back to a boil, stirring until it thickens, and add the remaining corn.
- Heat through for 2-3 minutes until piping hot.
- For a more substantial soup, add 8 ounces flaked white crabmeat or peeled, cook shrimp.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the yogurt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish, and serve.