Recipe by Jen's Kitchen
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
Very nice corn and broccoli chowder. The use of frozen veggies makes this chowder a breeze and I'll be keeping it around for nights when I need something warm and comforting but don't feel like doing too much. I added lots of pepper, but I think it could have used something else too... perhaps thyme. As is, it was a bit bland, but could easily be adapted to use seasonings of your choice.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli cuts
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn (from 16-oz bag)
- 1 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, broccoli and corn. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in half-and-half. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot (do not boil).