1/2 Photos of Creamy Coriander / Cilantro Soup
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
WOW! Ok, I'm new to this soup, but what an introduction! The best way I can think to categorize this cuisine would be French/Asian Fusion. I love cilantro -- my husband is unfortunate enough to possess enzymes that render cilantro "soapy tasting" -- and despite the recipe title, the result here is mild. And rich, but not over-the-top rich, if you follow. If you don't follow, get in line! Oops, sorry. Anyway, try this. I insist. Times are estimated since it always takes me WAAAAY longer to do anything than a normal person.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 ounce) carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced (white part only)
- 6 1/4 cups beef broth (I used half of each) or 6 1/4 cups chicken broth (I used half of each)
- 1 cup coriander leaves or 1 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 150 g cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup cubed mozzarella cheese or 1/2 cup emmenthaler cheese or 1/2 cup good quality swiss cheese, etc
- 1Simmer the carrot, potato and leek in the broth until soft, roughly 10 minutes.
- 2To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter over low heat in a deep saucepan.
- 3Sprinkle the flour over the butter and whisk until a pale golden color.
- 4Add the milk and whisk constantly for 10 minutes until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- 5Season with the soy sauce and pepper.
- 6Remove from the heat, whisk in the egg yolks, being careful not to curdle the mixture, which will happen if it's too hot. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- 7In a food processor or blender, puree the carrot, potato and leek mixture with the broth. You'll have to do this in a few batches unless you have a REALLY BIG blender. ;).
- 8Add the coriander leaves and soy sauce and blend until smooth.
- 9Add the béchamel sauce and nuts to the food processor or blender and blend/chop. I added the nuts to about 2 cups of fluid so they'd break up easier instead of flying around in a huge sea of soup as far from the evil blades at the bottom as possible. I tricked them! NYA-HA-HAAAAA!
- 10*ahem* Sorry.
- 11Pour everything back into the saucepan over low heat and heat through, stirring.
- 12While still warm, toss in the cheese, stir for one minute and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Coriander / Cilantro Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.9
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 62.5 mg
- Sodium 907.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g