Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an easy recipe. It's better when left to soak up the dressing for a few hours. My mom has been making this for years.
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (pre-packaged is what I use)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped unpeeled apple, any kind
- 1⁄2 cup chopped up red onions or 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Mix the cabbage, apple and onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together.
- Add to cabbage and let sit in refrigerator for a few hours.
- It does go a bit runny, so add more cabbage if desired.
Delicious! We really enjoyed this, I don't think I've ever tried coleslaw with apple before and it's really good. I subbed sour cream for the buttermilk and that worked really well. I also used the green onion option rather than red onion since it's what I had available. Very yummy recipe, thanks for posting. made for PAc Spring 2010.
Make sure you let this one mellow for a few hours, it makes all the difference. At first the dressing tasted way too lemony and sweet (it reminded me of a no-bake lemon cheesecake batter!). But after a few hours, it was quite yummy. Still not my absolute favourite coleslaw, but that could've been because I made it "light" ... light mayo, Splenda, and more buttermilk than mayo. I really enjoyed the addition of the apples, and I also added some carrots. I used green onions which I think was much nicer than red would've been.
A very solid traditional cole slaw recipe. I doubled and followed the dressing ingredients and poured it over a combination of red and green cabbage, purple onion and carrot. Delicious!