Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My very first white coleslaw recipe...I've been making this for 18 years, and it never fails to impress people. The sour cream gives this dish a lovely taste, and sets it apart from all other coleslaws I've ever tasted.
- 1 small cabbage (chopped or grated)
- 1⁄2 green pepper, cut up
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 3 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash pepper
- toasted slivered almonds
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, salt, mustard and pepper.
- Toast almonds until barely brown.
- Set aside.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture over cabbage.
- Toss till well blended.
- Sprinkle almonds onto slaw just before serving (not before).
- Add a dash of celery seed, if desired.
Great coleslaw with a few changes! I followed the basic recipe but left out the pickles, and slivered almonds, and added raisins and sunflower seeds instead. Kids emptied the bowl, so it will be repeated!
This was an enjoyable coleslaw, and I liked the addition of sour cream. I had never made slaw with pickles and wasn't sure how I would feel about that addition, but it was a nice change. I used coleslaw mix, skipped the almonds, and added celery seed. I also scaled the recipe down and just eyeballed a few of the ingredients, but I must have gotten pretty close because it was very good. :) Thanks for posting!
This is a great salad. I like the addition of the dill pickles(I used dill relish) and sour cream. I did add just a touch of sugar and about 3 tbls. of milk to make it a little wetter. Thanks Renegade!