Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is the freshest variation on slaw that I have seen in a long time. The ingredients are a bit out of the norm--jicama and cilantro to start with--but the crunch and flavor are to die for. There is enough of the familiar flavors to provide comfort--but your taste buds will love the change. I love all kinds of slaw, but this one tops my list! This recipe comes from Juan-Carlos Cruz (Calorie Commando/FoodTV). ("Cooking" time is chilling time).
Top Review by sugarpea
Not sure what went wrong. I was careful about the correct ingredient measurements, we liked the end result, but this was anything but creamy. The dressing was very thin and there wasn't a lot of it.
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (I use Louisiana Hot Sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/4 head)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup jicama, finely julienned (1 jicama about the size of a softball)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vinegar, mayonnaise, poppy seeds, celery salt, and hot sauce in a small bowl, whisking until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the cilantro, cabbage, shredded carrots, green onions, bell pepper and jicama.
- Pour dressing over and toss until coated with dressing. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for about an hour so slaw is thoroughly chilled and flavores blended.