Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Yes, it is very rich but allow yourself this guilty pleasure every so often. It is fantastic.
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 5 leeks, cut into small pieces (white part only)
- 1 onion, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 quarts low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- salt and pepper
- Heat butter in dutch oven or heavy deep pan.
- Saute the leeks and onion-cook gently, stirring frequently until golden.
- Add broth and potatoes.
- Boil gently, uncovered for 30-45 minutes.
- Let cool and run through a processor until smooth.
- You may need to do this in two batches.
- Put mixture in large bowl and refrigerate.
- Chill for about 20 minutes.
- When cold stir in cream, chives salt and pepper.
- If too thick add some milk.
- Consistency should be somewhat thinner than pan cake batter.
- Serve cold.
This soup is excellent. I used homemade vegetable broth and added a little thyme. Super yum!
Perfect for summer! This recipe works and tastes great. Thanks for an easy summer classic.
This soup is really delicious, although next time I will limit the onion to a very small one, if I use onion at all. The onion flavor was too strong. Very refreshing for summer meals!!