Recipe by Ambervim
This is a savory sauce that works well with curry. It can also be used over rice or veggies. I think it would be good on fish or pork, but have not tried that, yet.
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable ghee (or just use butter)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or other light oil)
- 1⁄4 cup creamed coconut
- 1 1⁄4 cups coffee, strong and hot
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (just a mix of cardamon, corriander, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves and nutmeg)
- 2 cups red peppers, sliced thinly
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in the ghee and oil until soft and slightly golden.
- Chop the creamed coconut in a bowl.
- Pour over the hot coffee. Leave to soften and stir until dissolved.
- Mix the garam masala with the onion mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add the red peppers.
- Cover and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes, until the peppers soften.
- Pour in the coconut cream and season to taste with salt.
- Heat without boiling until the sauce thickens.
- Serve separately or spoon over your dish.