Recipe by mikey & ev
Top Review by Keee
This was sooo good! I don't have a double boiler so I had to set a big metal bowl inside a saucepan of boiling water but it still turned out great! I subsituted splenda for the sugar and found that even without adding the second 1/4 cup at the end it was a little too sweet for me. Next time I might try 1/8 cup of sugar/splenda while cooking and then test it at the end before adding any more. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (can use lowfat)
- 1 cup coconut milk (can use lowfat)
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, sorted and rinsed (can be substituted with rice or barley)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- toasted coconut (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In the top of a double boiler set over hot water, combine milk, coconut milk, quinoa, 1/4 cup of sugar and salt.
- Simmer until the quinoa is tender and most of the milk has been absorbed, about 1 1/2 hours; stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining sugar and set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, garnish with shaved coconut.