Recipe by Kazryn
I found this recipe scrawled on a piece of paper and thought it too good to let go, its gorgeous flavours go so well together!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass, white part only
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 250 ml white wine
- 1 liter coconut cream
- 1⁄2 cup wine
- 600 ml fish stock
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 12 asparagus spears, cut off tips to 4cm and chop remaining stalks into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 30 large scallops
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the coconut base: Melt butter in a pot. Toss in onion, lemongrass and garlic and sweat off for about 2 minutes or lightly transparent.
- Add curry powder and cook over a low heat for another 2 minutes.
- Add wine, bring to the boil, and reduce on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add coconut cream and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Puree with a stick mixer or blender and strain. Use 1 cup of this mixture to use in the risotto and keep it warm. Reserve and freeze rest of this liquid for another time if you wish.
- To make the risotto: Put fish stock in a pot and bring to the boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a heavy base saucepan, add 1 Tablespoon of the butter then cook the shallots and asparagus pieces (NOT THE SPEAR TIPS). Cook over a low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add rice and turn up heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add wine and let it evaporate.
- Lower heat then start adding stock, a ladle at a time, stirring occasionally, until rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add coconut base and cook another 5 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat and rest for 2 minutes before folding in remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to the boil, blanch asparagus tips for 30 seconds, drain, then refresh under cold , drain again and put aside.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan until hot. Cook scallops in batches for 30 seconds on each side. Season with salt and pepper, keep warm and set aside.
- Add asparagus spears to pan to heat through.
- Dish risotto into bowls, top with asparagus spears and scallops and drizzle with a little olive oil.