Recipe by Rita~
Hearty, warming, comfort food! I got the idea to make this soup from my DF Hope. It has clams, corn, potatoes, leeks, onions & red peppers. Very easy to make.
Top Review by Sassy Sandra
Great soup for a cold's winter night. I made it for an informal dinner party with some friends. I served it with a bread platter and a big Mango salad. I didn't have any Old Bay Seasoning, but it was still wonderful. I used more vegtables than in called for to make it go further. Even the kids loved it, now that says something. This chowder doesn't call for bacon. Yahoo, we don't need the fat! Thanks so much for the great recipe! It was great!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced thinly
- 1 large potato, diced finely
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans baby clams, with juice
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole corn (or grilled fresh corn on the cob kernels removed is really good!)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar clam broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper
- Old Bay Seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter, sauté onion, leeks, garlic, celery, potato and peppers till translucent.
- Add canned corns juice from canned clams and jar clam juice.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Add clams season to your taste with salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning.
- Simmer till warmed.
- Serve with crusty French or rye bread!