Recipe by Impera_Magna
I clipped this recipe from a December 1983 issue of The Charlotte (NC) Observer, which was running a contest to see who made the best fudge. This recipe won in the "Plain Chocolate Fudge" category (no additives such as nuts). I made this for presents at the holidays and now my grown kids are making it for gifts themselves. I buy disposable aluminum pans approx 5x8-inch so I can just wrap them up and give them as gifts. This recipe makes three pans-full.... or two 8x8-inch pans of fudge.
Top Review by pies & cakes & cookies ohmy!
If you are like me and don't have good luck with fudge, try this. I have been trying for years to come up with just the right taste and texture and this is the one. It's easy, fairly fast, and makes a big batch (plenty for gift giving!). As for you Impera Magna, this isn't the first of your recipes that I've tried and liked, so thank you once again. UPDATE: Here we are almost Christmas 08 and I still LOVE this recipe. It always comes out creamy, soft (not crumbly) and last year after all the fanfare was over I realized I made 5 batches! Needless to say everyone LOVED it.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter (no margarine)
- 25 large marshmallows, cut in quarters
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, cut up
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 11 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter two 8x8-inch or three 5x8-inch pans.
- In a large heavy pot (I use a dutch oven size pot), mix together sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter; stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Then let boil for 2 minutes, not stirring.
- NOTE: You need to move quickly during the next couple of steps so have the marshmallows and chocolate squares cut up and cut open the bags of chocolate chips.
- Turn off heat but leave pot on the burner.
- Add marshmallows, quickly stirring until melted.
- Add each chocolate separately in the order listed in the recipe, quickly stirring until melted.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Let cool.
- Fudge tastes better each day --- if it lasts!