Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I clipped this recipe from a December 1983 issue of The Charlotte (NC) Observer, which was running a contest to see who made the best fudge. This recipe won in the "Plain Chocolate Fudge" category (no additives such as nuts). I made this for presents at the holidays and now my grown kids are making it for gifts themselves. I buy disposable aluminum pans approx 5x8-inch so I can just wrap them up and give them as gifts. This recipe makes three pans-full.... or two 8x8-inch pans of fudge.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter (no margarine)
- 25 large marshmallows, cut in quarters
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, cut up
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 11 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate chips
- Butter two 8x8-inch or three 5x8-inch pans.
- In a large heavy pot (I use a dutch oven size pot), mix together sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter; stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Then let boil for 2 minutes, not stirring.
- NOTE: You need to move quickly during the next couple of steps so have the marshmallows and chocolate squares cut up and cut open the bags of chocolate chips.
- Turn off heat but leave pot on the burner.
- Add marshmallows, quickly stirring until melted.
- Add each chocolate separately in the order listed in the recipe, quickly stirring until melted.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Let cool.
- Fudge tastes better each day --- if it lasts!
If you are like me and don't have good luck with fudge, try this. I have been trying for years to come up with just the right taste and texture and this is the one. It's easy, fairly fast, and makes a big batch (plenty for gift giving!). As for you Impera Magna, this isn't the first of your recipes that I've tried and liked, so thank you once again. UPDATE: Here we are almost Christmas 08 and I still LOVE this recipe. It always comes out creamy, soft (not crumbly) and last year after all the fanfare was over I realized I made 5 batches! Needless to say everyone LOVED it.
It was easy and delicious bterre next day even. Yum
This was our first time making fudge. We wanted creamy fudge that was easy to make. This was perfect! Excellent flavor and very creamy. This will definitely be our recipe to use!