Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fresh light hors d'oeuvres that are quick, easy and tasty! Great for weeknights, dinner partys, or set out as snacks. Adapted from Whole Foods.
- 3 cucumbers
- 3⁄4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt (or try low fat sour cream)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 -4 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pitted kalamata olive (or 2 ounce flaked smoked salmon -1/2 cup)
- Trim off the ends of each cucumber. Using a vegetable peeler, remove 3 evenly spaced strips of peel from each.
- To make the cucumber cups, cut each crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices and use a teaspoon to remove the seeds from the center of each without cutting through to the bottom.
- Transfer to a platter; set aside.
- In a food processor, puree cottage cheese, yogurt(or sour cream), 2 tablespoons chives, pepper and hot sauce.
- Spoon mixture into cucumbers, top with a sprinkling of the smoked salmon or olives and garnish with remaining chives.
- Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving. (Filling can be made up to 1 day ahead). Enjoy!
These were good but we found they needed a little extra kick - we added more hot sauce, some lemon, and more pepper. Also think I should've drained the cucumber cups for a bit. We also had some garden tomatoes, and the filling was good in them! Made for ZWT 8.
Nice and cooling on a hot day. I omitted the hot sauce, and the taste was refreshing, but mild. I suspect that you could use worchester sauce instead, if you wanted. The presentation is very elegant.