Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very popular dish in Texas and Arkansas - it's traditionally layered, but you know - being a working mom - didn't have time to worry about layers - just mixed it all together, and it was great!!!! Also, I use cheddar, but you can use anything!!!
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups long grain white rice, cooked
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 dried bay leaf, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, chopped and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded
- Melt butter, saute onion until soft.
- Combine all other ingredients EXCEPT the 1/2 cup cheese (that will be for the top).
- Add butter and softened onion to the rice mixture.
- Spread into a 2qt casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 375, covered for 25 minutes, and uncover and bake another 5 minutes.
- (active work time includes rice cooking time).