Recipe by - Carla -
We love chickpeas so this recipe from Chef April Bloomfield of the Spotted Pig "gastro-pub" in Manhattan soon became one of our favorites.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Easy to make and especially good with fresh rosemary from the garden. I also found the soup too thick for my liking and added extra broth to desired consistency. Cooked on LOW in a crock pot for several hours. A large spoonful of cooked brown rice was added (to make the soup more of a main dish) to each serving along with a drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of black pepper and a few fresh rosemary leaves. Thank you.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaf, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 (15 -19 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and add garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic starts to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add chickpeas and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes; let cool slightly.
- Transfer soup to a blender; cover loosely, and puree until just smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and stir in lemon juice and sea salt to taste.
- Serve, garnished with a fresh rosemary sprig, or an additional drizzling of olive oil.