Recipe by Christine in Chicago
The ultimate in vegan comfort food. It's not a very specific recipe, and is open to much interpretation. It's a VERY modified version of what I found on the web. :)
Top Review by Rileysmummy
I didn't have 2 cans of chickpeas so I used chickpeas and kidney beans and my tahini was a bit sketchy so I used peanut butter instead. This was DELICIOUS! I almost sauteed my onion like someone else suggested but at the last minute threw it in raw and I'm glad I did. It adds just enough bite but keeps the dish tasting very fresh. I will make this again and again.
- 2 (15 -22 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 -4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or equiv. fresh garlic)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or equiv. fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or equiv fresh)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried parsley (or equiv. fresh)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix tahini and water until well mixed (it should get kind of"fluffy"). Set aside.
- Spray 9x13 pan with olive oil.
- Dump all ingredients into pan.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Add tahini mixture, stir until well combined.
- Bake at 375°F for approximately 40 minutes, until top begins to brown.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot!