Recipe by Zurie
This chicken dish is creamy and mild and the flavours meld completely. It is a fairly rich dish and does not pretend to be low-cal! I used canned mushroom pieces and artichokes because it's quicker, but fresh, lightly cooked mushrooms and artichokes can be used. Serve with brown rice and a green vegetable such as swiss chard, fresh green beans or broccoli. Very comforting and tasty! Please note that you can use a tin of asparagus pieces in the place of the mushrooms.
Top Review by mama smurf
Oh am I so glad I chose this dish for Spring PAC 2014. Along with your recipe#230739#230739 and a salad we had a fabulous dinner and one I definately would serve to guests. I used frozen artichokes instead of fresh but otherwise followed the instructions. Thank you for posting.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces (bone and skin in)
- 1 cup mayonnaise, tangy, not bland
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard, preferably wholegrain and creamy
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 14 ounces mushrooms, canned weight before draining (stems and pieces are fine (or use asparagus pieces)
- 14 ounces canned artichoke hearts (canned weight before draining)
- 2 ounces camembert cheese or 2 ounces brie cheese, ripe
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 deg F.
- Spray a suitable and not too shallow oven dish with nonstick spray, and prepare the chicken pieces: remove extra fat and loose flaps of skin.
- Drain contents of the tins in a sieve -- as well as possible. Hold artichoke hearts upside down and squeeze gently to get rid of more liquid. Leave to drain.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, lemon juice and Tabasco.
- Pack the chicken pieces snugly, skin side up, in the oven dish. Season lightly with a seasoned salt of your taste.
- Sprinkle over the mushroom pieces or sliced fried mushrooms. Chop the artichokes, each into 3 or 4 pieces, and add. Lift up chicken pieces and tuck some of the vegetable bits underneath and between them.
- Cut the camembert or brie into small chunks and tuck in all over the chicken.
- Ladle over the mayonnaise mixture, then use the back of a spoon to spread it over the chicken pieces.
- Cover the dish with a large piece of aluminium foil, tented so as not to rest on the sauce, and tucked in lightly around the edges.
- Bake for an hour in the preheated oven. Take foil off for last 10 minutes so top can colour.
- The mushrooms and artichokes might shed a little liquid, but no matter, it adds to make extra sauce to go over the rice.
- Grind over plenty of fresh black peppercorns.
- Serve with rice, steamed broccoli and a salad.