1/3 Photos of Creamy Chicken With Mushrooms and Artichokes
1 hr 20 mins
This chicken dish is creamy and mild and the flavours meld completely. It is a fairly rich dish and does not pretend to be low-cal! I used canned mushroom pieces and artichokes because it's quicker, but fresh, lightly cooked mushrooms and artichokes can be used. Serve with brown rice and a green vegetable such as swiss chard, fresh green beans or broccoli. Very comforting and tasty! Please note that you can use a tin of asparagus pieces in the place of the mushrooms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken pieces (bone and skin in)
- 1 cup mayonnaise, tangy, not bland
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard, preferably wholegrain and creamy
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 14 ounces mushrooms, canned weight before draining (stems and pieces are fine (or use asparagus pieces)
- 14 ounces canned artichoke hearts (canned weight before draining)
- 2 ounces camembert cheese or 2 ounces brie cheese, ripe
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat oven to 350 deg F.
- 2Spray a suitable and not too shallow oven dish with nonstick spray, and prepare the chicken pieces: remove extra fat and loose flaps of skin.
- 3Drain contents of the tins in a sieve -- as well as possible. Hold artichoke hearts upside down and squeeze gently to get rid of more liquid. Leave to drain.
- 4In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, lemon juice and Tabasco.
- 5Pack the chicken pieces snugly, skin side up, in the oven dish. Season lightly with a seasoned salt of your taste.
- 6Sprinkle over the mushroom pieces or sliced fried mushrooms. Chop the artichokes, each into 3 or 4 pieces, and add. Lift up chicken pieces and tuck some of the vegetable bits underneath and between them.
- 7Cut the camembert or brie into small chunks and tuck in all over the chicken.
- 8Ladle over the mayonnaise mixture, then use the back of a spoon to spread it over the chicken pieces.
- 9Cover the dish with a large piece of aluminium foil, tented so as not to rest on the sauce, and tucked in lightly around the edges.
- 10Bake for an hour in the preheated oven. Take foil off for last 10 minutes so top can colour.
- 11The mushrooms and artichokes might shed a little liquid, but no matter, it adds to make extra sauce to go over the rice.
- 12Grind over plenty of fresh black peppercorns.
- 13Serve with rice, steamed broccoli and a salad.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken With Mushrooms and Artichokes
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 728.9
- Calories from Fat 452
- Total Fat 50.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 154.8 mg
- Sodium 892.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 42.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: