1/1 Photo of Creamy Chicken-Wild Rice Soup
2 hrs 25 mins
The boyfriend loves creamy chicken-rice soups, and this is my effort to that end. I like the addition of sherry and a dash of curry powder and it's a great way to use up leftover chicken (and presumably turkey). This soup will thicken up overnight; it can be thinned with more chicken stock without losing flavor; adjust salt and pepper to taste. Almonds are optional but add an interesting crunch; this soup is also "crockpot-able" if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (not cooking sherry)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1Saute onion, celery and carrots in a large sauce pan for 5 minutes.
- 2Add mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes.
- 3Add flour and stir well.
- 4Gradually pour in chicken stock, stirring constantly (use a whisk if necessary to blend).
- 5Bring just to boil, reduce heat and bring to simmer.
- 6Add wild rice, chicken, salt, curry powder, parsley, black pepper, almonds (if using) and sherry.
- 7Allow to heat through, then pour in half-and-half.
- 8Simmer soup for 1 to 2 hours- do not boil.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken-Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.3
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 109.0 mg
- Sodium 882.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 34.9 g