1/2 Photos of Creamy Chicken, Vidalia, and Cheese Soup
I had 20lbs of Vidalia onions and a flavor in my mind. Sweet onions, sharp cheddar, and the richness of homemade chicken stock. Mmmm. DH had seconds. The 15yo had 3rds. Use as a side dish or, with bread and salad, as a light meal in its own right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large vidalia onions, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock (I suggest Crock Pot Chicken Stock)
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese or 8 ounces neufchatel cheese, cut in chunks
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- parsley (optional)
- 1Saute onions gently in butter and olive oil until soft and golden. Keep heat low to avoid excessive browning.
- 2Add chicken stock, meat, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil then turn down to simmer.
- 3Add cream cheese and allow it to melt inches.
- 4Whisk cornstarch into the cold milk then add to soup. Heat to a simmer again, stirring regularly to prevent lumps. Taste and correct seasonings if necessary.
- 5Stir in sharp cheddar until melted.
- 6Serve, garnished with parsely if desired.
- 7Alternately, use ham and ham broth instead of chicken and chicken stock.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken, Vidalia, and Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.9
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 721.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 23.4 g