Faux Chef Lael's Note:
This is one of my husband's favorite one-dish meals. It's quick, easy to make, and can use up whatever soups, rice and veggies you have in the fridge or freezer. Substitute whatever you like, but remember I'm not responsible if you don't make it like my recipe! :) This makes a large amount, and it freezes well. I use a 6-7 qt deep skillet with a lid. You will not need to bake this, but you could if it's easier. It also works great as a crock pot recipe. This recipe uses fresh vegetables. If you add frozen veggies, you'll need to use slightly less water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast (sliced in long thin strips, about 1/8 inch thick)
- 2 cups carrots (sliced into thin strips, not coins)
- 2 cups broccoli (bite sized pieces)
- 2 cups cauliflower (bite sized pieces)
- 2 cups wild rice, with seasoning (if you have unseasoned rice you'll need to add seasonings)
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chicken soup base, powder
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (black or white)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans mushroom stems and pieces (with liquid)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (or cream of whatever)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Using the deepest stovetop skillet or pot you have (minimum 6 quarts), add olive oil and heat on medium high until hot. Add sliced chicken and sautee until it just turns white, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not brown or overcook. Chicken will continue to cook as you add ingredients.
- 2Add carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, rice, water, chicken base powder and all seasonings. Stir and cover with lid, heat to a simmer then turn heat down to medium. Stirring occasionally, cook for approx 10 minutes or until rice is almost done.
- 3Remove lid, add the mushrooms with liquid and the cans of soup, stir and simmer uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until it reached desired thick consistency. It should not be runny.
- 4Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar cheese and let the pot rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
- 5TIPS: Try it with different veggies and meats. We like this with tuna and peas as well, or with ground beef, green beans and corn. You can also make it into a sort of "shepherd's pie" by cutting the stovetop cooking time in half, covering the top with seasoned tater tots or hashbrowns or mashed potatoes and baking it uncovered in the oven for an additional 20-25 minutes. Experiment and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Veggie Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 671.4
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 87.9 mg
- Sodium 1635.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 39.4 g