1 hr 15 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
This is great for a cold winter night. Use a good canned or homemade chicken broth. I sometimes use a store bought rotisserie chicken, which adds another dimension to the flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups light cream or 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups turkey, in pieces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- salt and pepper
- minced parsley
- 1Bring broth to a boil in a 5-qt.Dutch oven.
- 2Add rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3Add carrots, celery and zucchini, cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp tender, about 10 more minutes.
- 4In a small pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- 5Stir in flour and cook, stirring, until mixture is bubbly.
- 6Remove from heat and gradually stir in cream, then stir in about 1 C. of the broth from soup mixture.
- 7Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce is smooth, thick and boiling.
- 8Stir sauce into soup mixture.
- 9Stir in chicken and onions, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 10Cook until heated through, about 1 more minute.
- 11Sprinkle with parsley.
- 12Serve with warm rolls and a salad.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (555 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 789.6
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.2 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 203.7 mg
- Sodium 1460.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 41.8 g