Recipe by Hey Jude
This is great for a cold winter night. Use a good canned or homemade chicken broth. I sometimes use a store bought rotisserie chicken, which adds another dimension to the flavor.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups light cream or 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups turkey, in pieces
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- salt and pepper
- minced parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a boil in a 5-qt.Dutch oven.
- Add rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and zucchini, cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp tender, about 10 more minutes.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, until mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in cream, then stir in about 1 C. of the broth from soup mixture.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce is smooth, thick and boiling.
- Stir sauce into soup mixture.
- Stir in chicken and onions, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook until heated through, about 1 more minute.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with warm rolls and a salad.