1/1 Photo of Creamy Chicken Stew
1 hr 5 mins
I most always add in fresh sauteed mushrooms when I make this, you can also add in a can of cream of mushroom soup, I have done that many times, and the wine can be reduced if desired. This is a wonderful chicken stew!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces
- seasoning salt (can use regular salt)
- 2 tablespoons oil (more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, halved then sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme (or use 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water (in place of the water just use the juice from the canned corn)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (or use 1-1/2 cups wine)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans canned corn niblets (drain or use juice in place of water)
- 4 -6 large carrots, peeled and coarsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat the oil with butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- 3Brown the chicken on all sides (about 8 minutes per side) then transfer to a large bowl.
- 4To the same pot add in onion, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using) and thyme; saute stirring occasionally for about 4-5 minutes.
- 5Add in flour and cook, stirring 1 minute.
- 6Whisk in broth, water and wine; bring to a boil, whisking continuously.
- 7Add in potatoes, carrots and corn; mix to combine, cover with lid and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Add in the whipping cream and Parmesan cheese (if using); mix to combine, then add in the browned chicken back to the pot along with any juices from the bowl, season with salt and pepper; cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the veggies are tender (about 25-50 minutes, or longer).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (572 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 774.3
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 140.8 mg
- Sodium 1050.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 37.1 g