Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
It is turning cold here in AK fast, so in desperate need of a warming, filling dinner in a hurry, I threw this hearty soup together with ingredients I had on hand. DH absolutely loved it and requested that it become a regular part of our winter soup rotation :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence (or rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 9 ounces refrigerated tortellini (sweet sausage)
- 8 cups chicken stock (or 8 cups water and 8 t chicken bullion or 8 cups canned chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional, I like the extra chicken flavor)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and carrot and saute until onion is translucent. Add garlic, bay leaf, herbs, chili flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Saute 1 minute more.
- Add chicken stock (or broth, or water and bullion) and and extra bullion if using. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add uncooked tortellini and simmer according to package directions in the soup.
- Add cream of chicken soup, chicken (I use leftover roast tenderloins that had been marinated in buttermilk, garlic, thyme, dijon mustard and salt), and spinach and simmer until heated through. Add milk and simmer just until heated. Serve and enjoy!
This is a very flavorful soup that makes a lot! I was able to find the specified tortellini, which was great. I was a little hesitant about the cinnamon, but it was fine. All the wonderful spices and flavors in this soup add up to a hearty and tasty meal! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for PRMR Tag Game.