Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups hot cooked medium pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the milk and chicken broth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, spinach and pepper; return to a boil, stirring as needed, until the chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place the pasta in a serving bowl, add the chicken mixture, and toss to combine.
- Serve with the Parmesan sprinkled over.
This was very good. It is a nice looking dish too, as my husband commented that it looked "gourmet". I think next time I will add more flour to thicken the sauce.
I love it when Recipezaar plans my dinner for me! I had all the ingredients for your recipe on hand and it was great. The flavors are mellow and it is a good comfort food. I used 3/4 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup white wine, and 1/2 cup of milk. I also used fresh spinach because that's what I had on hand. I wilted it with the chicken after I made the sauce. I did have to use 2 Tbsps of flour to make the sauce a consistancy that I liked. I used 1/2 cup Asiago grated cheese and 2 Tbsps of sauteed pinenuts which I added at the last minute. We really enjoyed it, and thanks for the recipe. My husband said it's a "doer again"! Carole in Orlando