1/1 Photo of Creamy Chicken Soup With Orzo
C & D's Mommy's Note:
Great for a cold winter's night. I make TONS of soup. Since hubby's heart attack, I try to find things that are full of veggies. Freezes well. I make small portions and put them in ziplock bags. Great for lunches at work, or to give to my mom!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped (if making in the winter, you can substitute regular white onion. It's cheaper depending on where you)
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 (429 ml) cans low sodium chicken broth (I make my own broth, and use about 1 L)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1In a large pot, heat oil. Add carrots, celery and onion. Cook over medium high heat until they are "al dente" (crispy tender) ~ about 5-7 minutes.
- 2Stir in orzo, chicken broth, spices and salt and pepper.
- 3Continue cooking and bring to a full boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- 4In a small bowl, combine milk and flour until smooth. Add to soup stirring constantly until mixture comes back to a boil and gets slightly thickened.(2-3 minutes).
- 5Add chicken and cook until heated through.
- 6*I prefer a thick soup, but you can add more milk to thin it out if that is your preference.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Soup With Orzo
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.6
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 54.3 mg
- Sodium 353.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 31.9 g