Top Review by bluemoon downunder
Delicious and a recipe that I know we'll be enjoying often. Having already made - and greatly enjoyed - breezermom's Recipe #328649 and Recipe #328668, I really just had to try this recipe. Naturally, I made this with Recipe #328649! :) Wonderfully flavoursome and very much a complete and very satisfying meal. I made only a few variations. As an incorrigible garlic-lover and mushroom-lover, I added 4 cloves of minced garlic, 2 cups of sliced mushrooms and some thyme. I also used unsalted butter instead of the margarine which I very much prefer in cooking. Thank you so much for a trio of super chicken stock/soup recipes, breezermom! Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 quart chicken stock, I recommend Basic Chicken Stock
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5-6 quart Dutch oven over moderate heat, melt the butter in oil. Add the chicken and lightly brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, carrots, celery, onion, rice, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cover, bring to a simmer over low heat, then cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch into the half n half with a whisk. Add nutmeg, and whisk again. Stir slowly into the simmering soup. cook, stirring, until the soup returns to a simmer and thickens, about a minute more.