Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the creamy version of my Cure My Cold! Chicken Soup. It is delicious!
Make and share this Creamy Chicken Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 quart chicken stock, I recommend Basic Chicken Stock
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- In a 5-6 quart Dutch oven over moderate heat, melt the butter in oil. Add the chicken and lightly brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, carrots, celery, onion, rice, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cover, bring to a simmer over low heat, then cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch into the half n half with a whisk. Add nutmeg, and whisk again. Stir slowly into the simmering soup. cook, stirring, until the soup returns to a simmer and thickens, about a minute more.
Wonderful comforting soup, that screams for you to sit down, bundle up with a blanket and put your feet in those fuzzy, warm slippers. Easy enough to put together, with loads of taste, and goodness all melded together to make a delicious and satisfying soup. I didn't change anything except use real butter in place of margarine, and halved the amounts for a smaller family get-together. This was perfect and I wouldn't change anything. Made for your win, Breezermom *Everyday is a Holiday* January 2009
This has to be one of my favourite soup's to date. It was delicious and very easy to make. Yum!
I made a big ole chicken last night and used the left overs for this most delicious soup. I made my own broth from the carcass of the chicken. I didn't have carrots so I added some frozen corn. I forgot the nutmeg. I added a bay leaf. So very, very good. Made for I Recommend.