Recipe by JenniferK2
A nice hearty, creamy soup.
Top Review by alstearns
Great soup and really easy! I used leftover rotisserie chicken and a little garlic, which gave it very nice flavor. Don't forget to stir often, otherwise the rice sticks to the bottom of the pan. Thanks Jennifer for a wonderful recipe!
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 56 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 6 cups skim milk, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over high heat, combine the celery, onion, rice, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Slowly add the flour, stirring often, to make a roux. Add milk, 1/2 C at a time, while constantly stirring.
- Add roux and chicken to the rice mixture and return the rice mixture to the stove over low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.