Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr
A tasty chicken snack for parties or picnics, great finger food.
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 slices streaky bacon, rind removed,cut into 1/4 inch,5 mm,strips
- 1 ounce flour
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 2 ounces chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
- 2 fluid ounces creme fraiche or 2 fluid ounces double cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (500 g) packagefresh premade puff pastry
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- Trim the chicken into even-sized pieces, roughly 1/2 inch (1 cm) squares.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan and fry the chopped onion over a medium heat until it has turned pale gold about 4 minutes.
- Using a draining spoon, remove it to a plate.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the strips of bacon and fry these, tossing them around a few times, for about 4 minutes until they are really crisp.
- Transfer the bacon to join the onion on a plate and start to fry the chicken in the bacon fat, for about 2 minutes.
- Return the onion and bacon to the saucepan.
- Using a wooden spoon, and keeping the heat at medium, sprinkle in the flour and stir it in to soak up all the juices.
- Add the chicken stock a little at a time, stirring as you add until all the stock has been incorporated.
- As it comes to simmer, it will have thickened to a creamy sauce.
- Add the mushrooms, season well and then let it simmer at the lowest possible heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes, giving it a stir from time to time.
- Finally, stir in the crème fraîche and parsley, taste to check the seasoning and then leave it aside until it is completely cooled (preferably chilled).
- This can be done well ahead of time, but when you want to make the puffs, pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C).
- Allow the pastry to come to room temperature?
- this will take about 10 minutes?
- then carefully unroll the sheet of pastry.
- Roll pastry to approx 3mm thickness and then cut out 10cm (4inch) circles from the pastry.
- Place a spoonful of filling into the center of the circles.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg yolk, and fold in half and pinch the seam.
- Before cooking, brush the whole lot thickly with a beaten egg yolk.
- They will need to go on to a greased baking sheet and bake on a high shelf in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until they are a rich golden brown.