Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This soup is loaded with chunks of potatoes and chicken, but is low in fat. Each serving is 1 1/3 cups. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 very lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk. This recipe comes from Carla Reid. I found this recipe in Light & Tasty magazine. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for safe keeping.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup reduced fat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in broth and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the chicken, salt and pepper.
- Combine flour and fat free milk until smooth; stir into saucepan.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Sprinkle with parsley and chives.
I found this in Light & Tasty as well & have been making it for my husband for awhile now!! He loves it! It is creamy, filling & reheats pretty well. I use nonfat evaporated milk & chicken broth but otherwise stay pretty true to the recipe. Sometimes I top it w/ a little turkey bacon. It's a keeper; please try this!