1 hr 10 mins
Chef 495452's Note:
I got this recipe from my husband's step-grandmother and it is delicious and easy. I normally cut down on the ingredients because its just the 2 of us eating but it is so yummy and easy! I also use a frozen pie crusts and tear apart the crusts and put it and the chicken mixture in a pyrex dish-so much easier!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup onion, Chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup celery, Chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot (Chopped or Sliced)
- 1 cup potato, Diced
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked chicken, Chopped
- 2 frozen pie crusts
- 1Sauté onion, celery, potatoes and carrot in butter for 10 minutes.
- 2Add flour to sautéed mixture, stirring well; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Combine broth and half and half, also add ½ cup water; gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- 4Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- 5Stir in salt and pepper.
- 6Add chopped chicken, stirring well.
- 7Pour chicken mixture into a greased shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with pastry pie crusts.
- 8Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- 9Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 10** I add a little bit more half and half and add some water because otherwise it thickens too much. Don’t let it get too thick before you pour it in the container to bake. The first time I made this it was too thick and ended up being a little dry by the time we got to eat it. So when it starts to thicken, go ahead and combine chicken with it and put it into the oven.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 671.8
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 112.0 mg
- Sodium 1103.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 33.2 g