Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from my husband's step-grandmother and it is delicious and easy. I normally cut down on the ingredients because its just the 2 of us eating but it is so yummy and easy! I also use a frozen pie crusts and tear apart the crusts and put it and the chicken mixture in a pyrex dish-so much easier!!
- 1 cup onion, Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup celery, Chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot (Chopped or Sliced)
- 1 cup potato, Diced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked chicken, Chopped
- 2 frozen pie crusts
- Sauté onion, celery, potatoes and carrot in butter for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to sautéed mixture, stirring well; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine broth and half and half, also add ½ cup water; gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add chopped chicken, stirring well.
- Pour chicken mixture into a greased shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with pastry pie crusts.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- ** I add a little bit more half and half and add some water because otherwise it thickens too much. Don’t let it get too thick before you pour it in the container to bake. The first time I made this it was too thick and ended up being a little dry by the time we got to eat it. So when it starts to thicken, go ahead and combine chicken with it and put it into the oven.