Recipe by AussieGal Tracey
This is a great dish with mashed potato and veggies. A really lovely warm filling meal. The family loves it.
Top Review by sams1
Fantastic recipe! I am too lazy to make pastry, so store bought and also used a pie maker. Other than that followed recipe and it worked a treat. Pies are now in the freezer for a handy meal. Thanks for posting!
- 250 g flour, sifted
- 60 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 185 g butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 3 -4 tablespoons water, chilled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 750 g chicken breasts, chopped
- 60 g butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 250 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare pastry, place flour, cheese, mustard and cayenne pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Rub in butter cubes with fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Mix in egg yolk and enough water to form a soft dough with metal spatula or round-ended knife. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Wrap pastry in plastic food wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make filling, heat oil in a large frying pan, add chicken in batches over a high heat for 3 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in a frying pan; add garlic, celery, and onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove pan from heat and whisk in stock and milk.
- Return pan to heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Add chicken, parsley, rosemary, and black pepper to taste to sauce and mix well to combine. Remove from pan and set aside to cool completely.
- Place cooled filling in a 1 litre capacity pie dish. Roll out pastry to 5mm in thickness. Brush rim of pie dish with a little water and place pastry over the filling. Trim edges with a knife and decorate as desired. Brush with a little milk and bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden.