Sugar snap peas add crunch to this comforting soup. The J. Alexander's Restaurant in Troy , MI uses penne pasta, but macaroni would also work well. rich and creamy, and full of goodies!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrot (about 2 medium)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 1⁄4 lb sugar snap pea, halved diagonally
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, celery, carrots and onion.
- Cook until celery and onion are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually mix in chicken stock.
- Bring soup to simmer, stirring frequently.
- Add half and half and chopped parsley and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken tenders and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- (Chicken soup can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.) Cook penne pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain pasta.
- Bring chicken soup to simmer.
- Mix in cooked pasta and sugar snap peas and simmer 2 minutes.
- Mix in lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.