Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This makes an easy weeknight meal, I prefer this over spaghetti but any pasta will do, it's also a great way to use up any leftover chicken or turkey, it makes enough for 3 hefty servings or four small servings, you may easily double it, throw in some canned corn niblets or frozen peas also if desired --- I make this using about half of one 200-gram package fresh whole mushrooms that I slice and then saute in the butter firstly, but canned will do fine, I prefer the fresh! --- lower the fat by using reduced fat soup and sour cream, this is *really* good! :)
Top Review by stldolsons
This was pretty good, but even the additions of cream, sour cream, and a little dry white wine (my own addition) couldn't quite overcome the "canned soup" taste and texture. I also think the long simmer time isn't really necessary, especially when using precooked poultry. Cutting down on the cooking time to make this a really quick dish (less than 30 min) , thereby making it a convenient weeknight supper, may get me to bump it to 4 stars! Thanks, Kittencal.
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, can use more)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄3 cup milk (for a thicker sauce use whipping cream) or 1⁄3 cup 18% table cream (for a thicker sauce use whipping cream)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (can use two cans)
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (more to sprinkle on top)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- cooked pasta, of choice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add in onion, Italian seasoning and cayenne, saute until softened (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in fresh garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in mushroom soup, cream or milk, drained mushrooms, chicken and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; mix to combine and bring to a simmer, stirring over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with black pepper.
- At this point you may cook the pasta.
- Just before serving the sauce mix in the sour cream until heated through (do not boil).
- Serve over cooked pasta, then sprinkle more Parmesan cheese on top!