Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
In '300 Sensational Soups' by Carla Snyder & Meredith Deeds
Make and share this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, rinsed (or 3 lb. skinless chicken thighs)
- 2 stalks celery, including leafy tops, cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, unpeeled, halved
- 1 large carrot, cut into large chunks
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces fine egg noodles
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large pot, combine chicken, celery, halved onion, carrot, stock, thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- If chicken isn't immersed, add water or stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- Partially cover, decrease heat to low and simmer gently until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a breast reads 170°, about 45 minutes.
- Skim the soup if any scum develops on the surface.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to a large plate and let cool slightly.
- Remove skin and bones and discard.
- Shred the meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Strain the stock and discard all solids.
- Skim the surface of the stock and remove fat; set aside.
- Add butter to the pot and melt over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Pour in stock and add salt, chopped thyme and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Add noodles, decrease heat and boil gently until noodles are almost tender, about 4 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot and stir in cream and half the parsley; heat until steaming, about 5 minutes; do not let boil.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Ladle into heated bowls and garnish with remaining parsley.