Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I wasn't feeling too well today and needed something simple, hearty and warm to perk me up and this is what I came up with! It's nice and creamy - a nice change from regular chicken noodle soup
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups noodles or 1 1⁄2 cups pasta, of your choice (I use egg noodles)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups diced vegetables (carrots, green beans, potatoes, rutabaga, onion, garlic, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning, of your choice (I like a mixture of parsley, basil, sage, and rosemary)
- 2 -4 bouillon cubes (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- Mix the softened butter and flour together thoroughly and set aside.
- Dice the chicken breast fairly small and brown in a dutch oven over medium high heat using the 2 tbs of oil or butter.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the dutch oven and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water, milk, and boullion cubes and bring to a rolling boil.
- When the liquid comes to a boil, add the noodles and simmer over medium heat until the noodles and vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the chicken back to the pot along with the seasonings.
- Take a half cup or so of the hot liquid and add it to the flour/butter mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add the mixture back to the pot, stirring constantly.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes or so until the soup is thickened to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with crusty Italian bread.