Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe off a bag of egg noodles. I typically assemble the casserole in advance and have kept it in my freezer for 1-2 months. You may want to add some additional salt and pepper to taste.
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package egg noodles, uncooked
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water and reserve.
- In saucepan, melt butter or margarine; stir in flour and seasonings.
- Slowly add reserved water.
- Cook and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Add remaining ingredients and noodles, tossing gently to mix.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
I made this dish once before off the bag of noodles it was as the other reviewers stated, bland! I followed their advice this time and added onions (lightly sauteed), italian seasonings, 3/4 cup peas, 1/2 c corn and that helped bring it from boring to better. The italian seasonings definitely help give it more pizzaz so thanks for that mums the word. If I would have had any mushrooms I would have added those too (if my kid would eat them). I also topped with fresh parmesean cheese. My rating of this recipe will be a three star like those below because it needs so much modification, but it's decently easy given you usually would have the ingredients at hand. I'd prefer something that could just pop in the oven and cook itself rather than all the dishes this one generated cooking/sauteing the various parts of it.
We thought that this dish was okay, but a bit on the bland side. I tasted it before it went in the oven and decided to add sauteed mushrooms and Italian seasonings. I think onions would have been a nice touch too so if I make this again, I will add onions. Thx.
I had frozen cooked chicken in my freezer so this made for a quick and easy meal. I followed the recipe exactly as written other then I only used one tablespoon of parsley flakes. I also made this into a one pot meal and just mixed everything on the stove and didn't bake. This was a tasty dinner.