1/8 Photos of Creamy Chicken Marsala
I got this recipe from my roommate who had grown up with it. I try not to eat much meat but the sauce alone over rice or pasta is to die for. It is such a great mixture of savory, earthy, salty and a tiny bit sweet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 oz)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves (2 lbs total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry marsala wine
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F.
- 2Bring broth to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan ver high heat then boil, uncovered, until reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 20 minutes.
- 3Cook shallot in 3 T butter in a 8-10 inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, until shallot begins to turn golden, about 1 minute Add mushrooms, 1 tsp sage, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and they begin to brown, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4Put flour in a wide shallow bowl. Gently pound chicken to 1/4 inch thick between 2 sheets of plastic wrap using the flat side of a meat pounder or a rolling pin.
- 5Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour, 1 piece at a time, shaking off exess.
- 6Heat 1 T each of oil and butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then saute half of the chicken, turning over once, until golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Transfer cooked chicken to a large ovenproof platter, arranging in one layer, then put platter in oven to keep warm. Wipe out the skillet and cook remaining chicken in same manner, then transfer to oven, arranging in one layer.
- 7Without cleaning, add 1/2 cup wine to skillet and boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, about 30 seconds. Add reduced broth, cream and mushrooms, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickned, 6-8 minutes. Add lemon juice and remaining 2 T wine and 1/2 tsp sage.
- 8Serve chicken on top of rice or pasta with sauce poured over.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Marsala
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.8
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 168.0 mg
- Sodium 337.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 33.7 g