Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was one of the 'usuals' at my house when I was little- Even so, we never got tired of it! It is a super easy recipe, and you can play around with it: For the soup, you can either use two cans of cream of mushroom, or one can each of cream of mushroom and cream of celery. For the chicken, you can use boneless skinless chicken breasts, or chicken legs. I truly hope you enjoy!
- Rinse off chicken pieces.
- Mix rice and cans of soup together.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk, if you wish.
- Place the chicken on top of rice mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the dry onion soup mix on top of the chicken, or just sprinkle salt and pepper as desired.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Remove foil for the last 10 minutes.
The chicken was wonderfully tender, but I didn't like the flavor of the onion soup (2 stars from me); my husband did enjoy it (4 stars from him). Also, I thought the dish was too creamy. Maybe I'll add more rice next time and flavor the chicken with just the salt and pepper.
My hubby and I liked this dish. I added some sauteed chopped celery. I added one cup of water and simmered it on top of the stove until the rice was done. The flavor was very good. Thanks for sharing Bec!
This was a favorite at my house growing up too. My grandmother makes it with 1 1/2 cups rice, 1 1/2 cups water and covers tightly and cooks for 2 1/2 hours. We call it \