Recipe by Emily Elizabeth
This recipe creates a creamy flavorful sauce using creamed soups, mexican cheese, green chilies and a delicious blend of spices. It is scooped out in squares like lasagna, topped with sour cream and eaten almost like a dip with tortilla chips (Healthy Baked Corn Tortilla Chips (Homemade)). I definitely recommend making this recipe without substitutions the first time, especially in the case of the flour tortillas. They have a doughy melt-in-your-mouth texture that corn tortillas just don't have. My husband came up with this recipe and has been making it for years. The presentation may not be gorgeous, but it is always a hit and leftovers certainly don't last long! Tools Needed: 13x9-inch glass baking dish, aluminum foil, non-stick cooking spray. (I make this dish gluten free by using homemade gluten free soups - Condensed Cream of Chicken or Mushroom Soup (Gluten Free) and tortillas).
Top Review by Scarlett516
These were FANTASTIC!! I did as French Tart and made 1/3 the recipe, but otherwise I followed the ingredients and method as stated. The only thing I wasn't sure of was when to add the Sazon Goya, since it didn't mention it in the method, so I just added it when I put in the peppers and cumin. I bought enough of the ingredients for the full recipe, not checking the number of servings before when going shopping, so I think I'll have to make these again sometime very soon!
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 2⁄3 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 2/3 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 2/3 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, with juice (for more heat add 1-2 more cans)
- 2 (2 1/8 ounce) packets sazon goya (sin achiote)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mexican cheese (divided)
- 6 -8 large flour tortillas (I don't recommend subbing corn tortillas)
- sour cream
- salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes (about 1").
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium to high heat and add olive oil.
- Cook diced onion and minced garlic until golden brown.
- Add chicken and season with chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add both cans of soup and green chilies with their juice to the chicken. Add both packets of sazon goya sin achiote. Season with cumin, black pepper and salt and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in only 1 cup of the shredded cheese and simmer about 10 mins longer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While sauce is simmering, spray a 13x9" glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Put 6-8 large tortillas in the pan so that they are arranged side-by-side like taco shells (open-side-up).
- Set aside 1-2 cups of the sauce (or simply be sure to save this amount in the pan).
- Fill each tortilla with remaining chicken and sauce mixture. Close tortillas like you would a burrito, rolling them over so the flap is on the bottom.
- Cover the entire dish with the reserved 1-2 cups sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Let cool then use a spatula to scoop out large squares (like lasagna) and top with sour cream and salsa if desired. Serve with Recipe #263512, Recipe #287183 and margaritas!