1/5 Photos of Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
1 hr 30 mins
Emily Elizabeth's Note:
This recipe creates a creamy flavorful sauce using creamed soups, mexican cheese, green chilies and a delicious blend of spices. It is scooped out in squares like lasagna, topped with sour cream and eaten almost like a dip with tortilla chips (Healthy Baked Corn Tortilla Chips (Homemade)). I definitely recommend making this recipe without substitutions the first time, especially in the case of the flour tortillas. They have a doughy melt-in-your-mouth texture that corn tortillas just don't have. My husband came up with this recipe and has been making it for years. The presentation may not be gorgeous, but it is always a hit and leftovers certainly don't last long! Tools Needed: 13x9-inch glass baking dish, aluminum foil, non-stick cooking spray. (I make this dish gluten free by using homemade gluten free soups - Condensed Cream of Chicken or Mushroom Soup (Gluten Free) and tortillas).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 2/3 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 2/3 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, with juice (for more heat add 1-2 more cans)
- 2 (2 1/8 ounce) packets sazon goya (sin achiote)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mexican cheese (divided)
- 6 -8 large flour tortillas (I don't recommend subbing corn tortillas)
- 1Dice chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes (about 1").
- 2Heat a large sauce pan over medium to high heat and add olive oil.
- 3Cook diced onion and minced garlic until golden brown.
- 4Add chicken and season with chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- 5Add both cans of soup and green chilies with their juice to the chicken. Add both packets of sazon goya sin achiote. Season with cumin, black pepper and salt and bring to a simmer.
- 6Stir in only 1 cup of the shredded cheese and simmer about 10 mins longer.
- 7Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 8While sauce is simmering, spray a 13x9" glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Put 6-8 large tortillas in the pan so that they are arranged side-by-side like taco shells (open-side-up).
- 9Set aside 1-2 cups of the sauce (or simply be sure to save this amount in the pan).
- 10Fill each tortilla with remaining chicken and sauce mixture. Close tortillas like you would a burrito, rolling them over so the flap is on the bottom.
- 11Cover the entire dish with the reserved 1-2 cups sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
- 12Bake 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 693.8
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 136.4 mg
- Sodium 1938.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 55.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: