1/3 Photos of Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
1 hr 40 mins
I got this from a friend a long time ago, and I love it. It's easy to put together, and freezes great for later. Usually when I make this, I make 2 and cook one for the night and freeze one to bake later. Hope you like it too! You can make individual enchiladas and roll them up, or you can layer it like lasagna.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, 2-3lbs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup, Campbell's Condensed 98% Fat Free
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, Campbell's Condensed 98% Fat Free
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, Campbell's Condensed 98% Fat Free
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 -2 tablespoon jalapeno, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 flour tortillas, taco size
- 3 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend (or more to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives, optional garnish
- 1Boil chicken in water until done. Allow to cool and remove the bones and the skin, shredding the chicken. If you are using chicken breasts, simply boil them up and shred them.
- 2In a large bowl, mix the three soups and the can of diced chiles.
- 3Add about 1/2 the soup mixture to the shredded chicken along with the chopped onion. (Here's where you can try adding a few diced jalapeno slices to this mixture!) The consistency of this mixture should be like chicken salad: make sure not too runny. Set the remainder of the soup mixture to the side.
- 4Place about 2-3 Tablespoons of the chicken mixture into a flour tortilla, and sprinkle with a little cheese. Roll this into an enchilada, and place into a pan. I use a lasagna pan so that I have left-overs.
- 5NOTE for a quicker prep time: don't roll the individual enchiladas and just layer it (like you would a lasagna) for an enchilada bake. It tastes the same, and half the work involved!
- 6Add the milk to the remaining soup mixture to thin them out a bit. Pour the rest of the soup mixture on top, since this is the sauce.
- 7Add the black olives on top (if desired) and cover with cheese. Bake uncovered at 350* for about 30-45 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. I serve mine with sour cream, but they are delicious plain!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 828.5
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 172.4 mg
- Sodium 1877.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 46.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend