Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A TexMex style stroganoff that will tickle your tongue! I love that even the noodles cook up right in the chicken breast and sauce making this a true one-dish meal. Hurray for fewer dishes to wash! I almost always have these ingredients on hand in my kitchen which makes this a gret go to meal when I am short on time and / or energy. If you like you can serve this with a simple green salad to increase your family's veggie intake. Serving this dish also gives me a great excuse to enjoy some great Mexican beer like Dos Equis (XX) or Modelo. :)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (1 can)
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms, sauteed or 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles, uncooked (4 cups)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped and a little of the adobo if you like
- 8 ounces sour cream
- In a deep and large frying pan or a dutch oven that has been lightly oiled or sprayed with cooking spray,saute chicken and onions for about 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle.
- Add broth, UNdrained mushrooms and UNcooked noodles and mix well. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until noodles are tender and only a small amount of liquid remains.
- Stir in peppers and cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times to keep from sticking.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
I've been making this for a couple of years. WE LOVE IT!! Being from New Mexico I always put in extra chiles..hot!! We always have garlic bread with it, makes for a great meal. Just as good the second time around! This is one of my son's favorites. Everyone needs to try it at least one time.
Ooooo mama! Good stuff. I practically tripled the chipotle. I also used pre-cooked noodles, so skipped the boiling part. I had to salt this a little...but that is just for my taste. I added frozen (thawed) corn as well. Thanks!
Really nice, simple, one-dish meal. I didn't have canned mushrooms, so sauteed some fresh ones in a little extra chicken broth. I also added an extra chipotle - I should have trusted a Texas girl and only used one, lol. Not only was this good, but the directions were very clear. Thanks for the recipe.