Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting in response to a request. This casserole has a crispy, buttery cracker topping sprinkled over a creamy chicken filling. Optional ingredients listed under recipe instructions (peas, mushrooms, carrots). If adding optional vegetables, you may need to increase the amount of soup and sour cream. See instructions for details. Feeds 10 to 12 people.
- 8 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup butter-flavored cracker crumbs (about 25 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Combine chicken, soup, and sour cream.
- Spread into greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Combine butter, crumbs, and celery seeds, then sprinkle over chicken mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Add frozen peas, diced cooked carrots, and mushrooms (cooked or canned) to chicken mixture before baking.
- If adding extras, you may need to increase the amount of soup by 1/2 to 1 can; mix vegetables in, and if it looks dry, add 1/2 can of soup-mix well, and if it still looks dry, add some sour cream or the rest of the soup.
I followed this recipe pretty closely, omitting the celery seeds and adding the suggested peas and mushrooms. For freezing, since I'm somewhat leary about freezing sour cream or cream soups, I only froze the chicken, keeping the soup and sour cream on hand. It worked out very well to thaw the cooked chicken while assembling everything else in a mixing bowl, folding in the chicken as the last ingredient. A half recipe fits into an 8x8" casserole dish. I put on a nice, thick layer of cracker crumbs, heating the casserole through covered, and uncovering for the last 10 mins or so, until the crumbs were lightly browned and the sauce bubbling very slightly. This makes a great one dish meal with the option add-ins.