Recipe by Tilly-K
We love creamy, cheesey casserole's in my family....a little too much! Now that I'm trying to lose some weight, I want to keep the family happy, but cut out a little of the fat. Here's a delicious take on a favorite of ours. We've found some great ways to substitute fattening (and high sodium/caloric) cream of chicken soup.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 8 slices reduced-fat American cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup French's French fried onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 385.
- Bake the chicken breast until no longer pink in the middle.
- When chicken is done cooking, remove from over, let cool for 5 minutes, then shred. Set aside.
- While the chicken is baking, boil water and cook the pasta until done to desired tenderness.
- Drain the pasta and pour into a mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a small saute pan, heat chicken broth and skim milk together to a low boil.
- Combine 1/4 cup warm water with 2 Tbls cornstarch.
- When chicken broth/milk is at a low boil, whisk in cornstarch/water mixture. Remove from heat and stir until thickens. Pour over noodles.
- Add chicken, sour cream, 1/2 cup of frenches onions and pepper. Stir.
- Tear slices of american cheese into smaller pieces and add to pasta/chicken mixture.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot through the center.
- Sprinkle the rest of the frenches onions over the top, return to oven. Bake for another 3-5 minutes, or until onions are crispy and browned. Be careful not to bake too long, onions will quickly burn.
- Let cool for 3-5 mintues before serving.