Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was printed in the July, 1980 issue of Family Circle.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 ounces bacon, with excess fat removed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- chopped parsley
- Cut chicken into serving portions and slowly brown well all over in the oil, remove from pan to an ovenproof dish.
- Add onions and bacon to pan, gently fry until the onions are transparent.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and celery, cook until mushrooms have softened, add to chicken.
- Add flour, stir for 2-3 minutes, add crumbled stock cubes, water and milk, stir until boiling, then add sauce, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper, stir in Pour over chicken, cover and cook in a moderate oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- Lightly stir in the sour cream, return to the oven for another 5 minutes, top with chopped parsley and serve.