Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
As published in Raley's Something Extra magazine.
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (8 7/8 ounce) packagedry alfredo sauce mix
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken meat
- Stir together broth, rice, alfredo sauce mix and thyme in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir iin broccoli and chicken. Cook for 5 minutes more.
Firstly, I looked high and low but found no 8 7/8oz pkg of Alfredo mix. They were all 1 and some odd ounces. I ended up using Knorr brand for the Alfredo. I also used fresh broccoli and switched the cooking times with the cooked rice. I felt that if IU cooked already cooked rice for an additional 20 minutes it would be mush and if I cooked the broccoli for just 5 minutes it would still be hard, especially at a simmer. I can't put my finger on it, but it is lacking something. I added some garlic powder along with the chicken and rice, but it didn't add much. I think maybe more herbs and veggies (shredded carrots, sauteed mushrooms and onion) might make it more flavorful. It is a good base, it just needs more omph.