Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Comfort food! This cream and cheese based soup blends well with the vegetables and chicken. My mother always used fresh asparagus from our garden for soups. The tender pieces of asparagus bring back soup memories from childhood. Hearty and comforting soup!
- 1 bunch asparagus spear
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cut tips from asparagus spears and set aside, Discard stalks.
- In a dutch oven, saute onion and celery in oil. Add carrots, potatoes and parsley flakes. Stir in broth, salt and pepper . Bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat covered for 25 minutes.
- Add chicken, cream, cheese and asparagus tips. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
Very good. Boiled a leftover roasted chicken for the meat and broth.
I'm sorry Seasoned Cook but this one wasn't for me. I have made many of your reciepes and they have all been good. I was expecting something else from this one. That or I am not a very big soup person.
Wonderful soup so full of flavour and just so comforting for on a cold winters night! So easy with ingredients that were on hand. It does not get any easier than this.....This is a must recipe....... when Asparagus are in seasion! Thanks S.C..... always can count on you for a wonderful recipe! Keeping this one on hand for next winter/spring. so divine on a cold night!