Comfort food! This cream and cheese based soup blends well with the vegetables and chicken. My mother always used fresh asparagus from our garden for soups. The tender pieces of asparagus bring back soup memories from childhood. Hearty and comforting soup!
- 1 bunch asparagus spear
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cut tips from asparagus spears and set aside, Discard stalks.
- In a dutch oven, saute onion and celery in oil. Add carrots, potatoes and parsley flakes. Stir in broth, salt and pepper . Bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat covered for 25 minutes.
- Add chicken, cream, cheese and asparagus tips. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Serve and enjoy!