Recipe by trksh22
Got this recipe from Everyday by Rachael Ray. I am a beginner cook. My husband tried this and said that it was his favorite! He said that he would give it five stars and would like to have this served more often. Easy to make and most of the ingredients are already on hand. YUM. The recipe is customizable! Use substitutes if you have to. :)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2 apples, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
- toasted tortilla, optional for serving (optional)
- chopped scallion, optional for serving (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over med-high heat.
- Add chicken, chili powder, and cumin (don't worry, it was NOT spicy to us, my toddler ate it.).
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the apples and onion and cook, stir, until softened - about 6 minutes; Add to bowl with chicken.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over med-low heat. Whisk in flour for about a minute; whisk in the chicken broth and milk, until thickened - about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the apples, chicken, and beans. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in cheese and cook until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with the tortillas and scallions.